No post for POC Day #2. Ended up only having a couple of hours in the afternoon where I installed the last of the optics and that was pretty much it.
Today I had most of the day set aside for it, so I made a bit more progress getting it all set up. We are still having some issues with fibre and power. Only approximately half the fibre patch cables arrived – some went on back order unfortunately and no new circuit breakers just yet. So still only about 8 devices powered on (of about 60).
This is what it’s looking like now:
Coming along slowly.
I also upgraded the IOS on the 7 CGS-2520s that are powered on – these are all now IPServices. The single powered on CGR-2010 also had its data license installed and its GRWIC had its IOS upgraded to IPServices.
CGR-2010 GRWICs are a kind of funny beast. If you haven’t used one before, and I hadn’t prior to today – they are a bit different. Unlike normal WICs you get in ISR routers, these act as their own unit. They don’t just show up as a bunch of additional interfaces. In fact they don’t show up at all in any of the usual show interface type commands. You can’t even configure them from the normal config mode. They have their own IOS installed and you have to “connect” to them to configure them.
That procedure is basically giving the GRWIC’s backplane interface (G0/0/0 in this case) an address and then connecting to that with the service-module command. See below:
CGR(config)# interface g0/0/0 CGR(config-if)# ip address 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 CGR# service-module gigabitethernet 0/0/0 session GRWIC-8PC>
This is explained on the Cisco website here.
Once you are in the GRWIC exec mode, you can do all the usual commands like you were on a new switch. Go to enable, config mode, update IOS etc. It’s kind of neat, and kind of weird.
On top of that, I had a bit of fun with NST today.
Two things I had to do today in Linux I hadn’t done in a while. One is giving an interface a permanent IP address and the second is getting a TFTP server running.
Luckily, the TFTP daemon is already installed on NST. So you just have to enable it via:
Then change the disabled variable to no.
Setting a permanent IP address on NST is done via editing interface config file:
And setting the following variables:
DEVICE=em1 IPADDR=192.168.0.1 NETMASK=255.255.255.0 ONBOOT=yes
Then once that’s done, resetting the interface:
And that’s pretty much it for day 3. Hopefully power and fibre issues will be sorted soon and I can get to the configuring part.